Ya see, I have this lovely MP3 player that I love to use at work. It gets me going in the late hours. So, I plugged it in the other day to load some new files on it, and nothing that I copied worked. I tried for two days to get it to work, so I hit the internet and found I was not alone. This is the post I found, no help was given really on the site. So, I caved in and called the tech line at Philips. After having the call dropped once, I was given a solution that worked.
Thank you Philips Tech Support Staff. Rock on!
This is what I was told to do with it to fix the problem: The way to fix this issue is to have the CD Rom in the drive and use the Repair function in the Device/Firmware Manager. Follow the instruction on how to do the repair, and it should fix the issue.