Thursday, May 15, 2008

Where the heck has the Nutzoid Been?

Well, I've been out of the loop for a few weeks trying to get used to my new
computer. I went ahead and got made the jump and bought a computer that most people will find surprising. It's an ACER (Gasp!). I ordered it through Wal Mart and paid less than a dollar on shipping. It's not a bad lil computer, but you have to remember, you get what you pay for. Good thing I like to play around under the hood.Here are it's vital statistics along with notes about each from your's truely:



19" widescreen LCD monitor

-- Presents a crisp picture with 1440 x 900 resolution, 700:1
contrast ratio and 5-ms. response time


--- Not bad, could be bigger, still getting used to having a screen
that is wider than it is tall. Had to put it on top of a shoe
box to get it to a level that doesn't hurt my neck, but all in all it's
cool.

2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2
processor 4000+

-- Delivers dual-core processing power for true multitasking
plus enhanced virus protection

--- Sure is speedy, but most apps still don't take advantage of the
processors of today, but not bad.

1 GB of DDR2 system memory
-- Offers good performance along with the option of expanding up
to 8 GB

--- This was the first thing that had to be fixed, I'm up to 3 GB and
will prolly go whole hog after I get the bugger paid for.

250 GB hard drive, 7200 rpm
-- Provides plenty of storage space for documents, games, music,
photos and videos

--- First complaint: reminds me of Bill Gates and his famous line "640K
ought to be enough for. anybody." NASTY SIZE. You need at
least twice that much if you are going to make this a worthwhile
computer. Bugger of it all is, the drive bus is SATA, so I'm
gonna be paying a lil more for the replacement.

SuperMulti DVD+/-RW drive with double-layer capability
-- Lets you burn and play DVDs and CDs for entertainment and
data backup

--- Not bad, not bad....Again SATA, so my bargin IDEE DVD Player won't
hook up without additional hardware purchase, NewEgg, here I come.

10/100/1000 Base-T network interface and & 56K modem
-- Connects to the Internet via DSL, cable or dial-up service
--- I still don't get why they ship with both network cards
and modems. With the price of modems these days (less than
$20, in most cases), why don't they just skip it. I've pulled
about 30 modems out computers I've owned and ones that others own, it's
a waste of a slot.

9-in-1 digital media card reader
-- Reads the most popular memory card and Memory Stick formats so you can enjoy photos, music and other files
--- COOL! I now have a use for the flash cards I
bought when I had a RCA Lycra MP3 player.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
-- Makes your total computing experience more efficient, more
secure and more fun

--- WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYTHING? I'm still
plodding along wtih this thing, I still think that ACER
cheated us out of the 64 Bit version, but I can live with the 32 for
now. One of the features I love in this OS is the search
feature build into the start menu. It's fast and easy to find
programs or files, just start typing the name what you are looking for
and it pops up. COOLIES.

Well, there you have it, good reason for my to be absent from the net for a few weeks, don't ya think?

ACER
IMAGE USED WITHOUT PERMISSION, SHAMELESSLY AQUIRED FROM WAL MART AND OR
ACER COMPUTERS. IF YOU FIND THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE ME REMOVE
IT, JUST LEAVE A COMMENT WITH YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS FROM THE RESPECTIVE
COMPANY.
Post a Comment