Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

A Clockwork Orange (1971) features disturbing,...Image via Wikipedia

I'd have to say that I have a few guilty pleasures. I'm a incurable bibliophile. I can't get enough of old time radio programmes, particularly in the Science Fiction genre. And lastly, I'd have to say it's MORPGS.

Anyone that knows me personally should by now have a clue that if they want to get me something for my birthday or Chrimbo, all they gotta do is give me a gift card to a bookstore or find out what book I don't have of a given author's. Most of my pleasure reading consists of Sci-FI and Fantasy where as my non-fiction has to deal with theology in all it's flavors. Over the years I've prolly lost more books than I can count due to moving about and all that. What is fun is when I recover one of my old books either at a bookstore or finding it in someone's collection that they forgot they had it or that it belonged to me. But I love my books. If I had the money, I'd be a collector of some first editions and the like.

I was sitting one evening, back in my younger years at a ranch on the plains of Colorado, playing withe dial of a radio tuner when all the sudden what should I hear but the following,
"It...............
is...............
later..........
than..........
you............
think!"
Then for the next half-hour I was spellbound by this story of a haunting sort as written by Arch Obler for his radio drama series, Lights Out. Thus began an obsession with old time radio shows that would not be satisfied until technology had come up with the Internet, MP3s, and the large capsity harddrives. hat started out as having something to listen to at worked has been worked out to be about 3 solid months of radio programmes from the US, Australia, and Britian. Love them shows, they keep me going on those lonely nights at work.

When I moved back to Nebraska, my daughter introduced me to this game called Runescape. I was not working at all for about the first year of living back here due to my health, so I spent a lot of time playing the game. It was something that occupied my time and was fun. As soon as I was able to afford to pay for a game on my own, I turned to World of Warcraft. The game is amazing and fun. I use these games for therapy. Nothing like thinking of one of those critters on the screen as your boss or that bastard that cut you off in traffic on the way home.
Enhanced by Zemanta
Post a Comment